Our poor little buddy broke out in hives one night this summer. I went to check on the kids and give them hugs and kisses before I went to bed like always. I happened to feel a raised bump on Keltyn's arm so I turned on the lamp to check it out. Sure enough, he had hives. I checked him over and noticed them in a few different places, but they weren't too bad. I gave him a dose of Benadryl and continued to monitor him. Well, rather than getting better, things got worse.
As a mom and having this be the first time dealing with this with one of our children, I got nervous. What if his throat swelled? What if he stopped breathing? I kind of let my pregnant mind get the best of me. His face and lips were starting to swell so I called the nurse hotline. The nurse recommended to me that I should be bringing him to the ER. So at 12:15 a.m. we headed out to the ER. We left Daddy and Ryles at home in bed.
Once checked into the ER his hives had kind of "connected" and became huge! His eyes and lips became more swollen too. They gave him another dose of Benadryl and monitored him for a little over and hour. He did not get any worse so they gave him yet another dose of Benadryl and a shot of cortisone and sent us home.
It took three days for the hives to run their course from one part of his body to the other. We strongly feel that the hives breakout was caused from Strawberry Jam. (we haven't attempted it since)
He look so little. :(
Look at that big Kisser!
One example of one of the huge the "Hives"
Day 2 - They took over his sweet little face. Poor Buddy.

No comments:
Post a Comment